Thursday, 27 October 2011

The Avengers Trailer Analysis

The Avengers are coming! The Avengers are coming!

In what could perhaps be the greatest moment in Earth history, Marvel Studios will realise their 4-year-old ambition in The Avengers, combining comic book superheroes from four different movies. It will either be monumentally awesome or monumentally terrible.

However it turns out, the trailer was recently released online, causing world peace to break out momentarily, and having only just finished continuously watching it, I thought I'd use my vast intellect to break it down for analysis and share some of my more verbose thoughts (i.e. the ones that don't sound like high-pitched shrieking).




In case you are a fool, here is the trailer:


Finished? Here's the breakdown:

0:07 Here we have, presumably, New York City, the centre of the Marvel Universe, so no surprise they chose to set the movie here. Although they did film it elsewhere. Philadelphia, I think.

0:10 Loki's voiceover begins. "You were made to be ruled" suggests he will be exerting his godly rights over mankind in a simple take-over-the-world villain plot. "Every many for himself" makes it seem like he will somehow be using his manipulative magic to turn humanity against itself, which would explain why the Avengers appear to be fighting each other later.

0:12 The classic "people looking up" found in many a teaser trailer, and there's lots of it here. An attack from above, perhaps? From shapeshifting aliens, perhaps?

0:20 I have already dubbed this location "the gateroom" because I reckon Loki is standing on the artificial doorway between Earth and Asgard that (I assume) Jane Foster helped to build.

0:30 This looks like the Triskelion from Millar and Hitch's The Ultimates (The Avengers by another name). An island just off of New York, it served as the Ultimates home base, and it looks like it will be something similar here. Although I'm still hoping for a helicarrier.

0:33 Agent Phil Motherfucking Coulson.

0:35 Nick Fury. Assembling the Avengers seems to be his idea, again echoing The Ultimates. Incidentally, the line "What do we do?" seems like a perfect set up for "Assemble" but maybe it's just a trailer thing.

0:43 Black Widow with Bruce Banner and Steve Rogers in tow. Mark Ruffalo, who replaces Edward Norton in the role of Banner, might have the toughest job out of everyone, since he doesn't have a pre-establishing movie to fall back on. He has to sell us on top of everything else going on.

0:46 Captain America's present day uniform. As much as I loved the WW2 one, I kinda like this one a lot too.

0:47 Thor in his new outfit. The lack of sleeves reflects his original comic costume. I just hope they left out the "T" on the belt buckle.

0:49 Banner in some kind of hut, which could be a follow on from the end of The Incredible Hulk where he goes back into hiding.

0:50 Steve punching the bag real hard is from the end of Captain America: The First Avenger and presumably won't actually be seen in The Avengers. Like the post-credits scene from Thor, it was probably directed by Joss Whedon too.

0:53 Hawkeye. He seems to be using a recurve bow here, as opposed to the compound bow from Thor. Just a bit of archery nerdiness for ya. I don't actually know what kind of bow Hawkeye favours in the comics.

0:56 That looks like a quinjet to me. It's no helicarrier though...

0:58 Tony Stark, the man who kicked off this whole shindig. His Iron Man suit doesn't seem too different this time around, which does seem a wasted opportunity. But you never know, they could have a surprise or two for us.

1:04 This is the scene that I love most. All of them (more or less) in a room together. That's all I want, really. What are they all so gloomy about though? Hmmm.

1:07 "What are you prepared to do?" Somebody's been watching The Untouchables.

1:12 I'm hoping this exchange between Tony and Steve is exemplary of their relationship throughout the movie. There's no denying that Iron Man is more popular right now, but the real leader of the Avengers has to be Cap. Hopefully they'll sort out their differences. Also, I'm reminded of all the times Batman has tried to show the Justice League that relying on their powers (or gadgets) alone is not enough.

1:21 Samuel L. Jackson with a rocket-launcher. You know it's gonna be a good movie.

1:23 All of this stuff here, with everyone jumping over rubble and stuff, is awesome. I'm hoping the fight scenes are really dynamic like that.

1:27 The inter-team fighting I spoke of. Could be a training exercise, which would be kinda cheap, or it could be Loki's deviousness.

1:29 Captain Goddamn America with a machine gun. Fuck yeah!

1:30 Loki throws Tony through a window so hard he turns into Captain America.

1:33 Laser beams from above! More evidence of the much-rumoured Skrulls, although I have no idea how they'd factor in.

1:37 Title drop!

1:39 Iron Man rising out of the water here reminds me a little of the first episode of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes animated series, which has a battle in the water near New York City.

1:47 The logo!

1:51 "Enormous green rage-monster" is such a Whedonism.

1:56 Our first glimpse of Ruffalo-Hulk! Looks pretty good.

As you can see there's a lot to digest, but it's still mostly spectacle over substance. However, it is amazing spectacle! And it is just a teaser trailer, with no indication of the overall plot. We've got until May for that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment