"Into the Shadows"
Captain Dragonblood's men sword-prodded me along the plank towards the watery grave below, my hands secured behind me still.
"This is what ye get for turning your back on pirates, Coughlan!" said Dragonblood, and his crew laughed along with him. "Say hello to--"
"Yes, yes, say hello to Davy Jones," I said. "I get that all the time."
"Actually, I was going to tell you to say hello to my mother," said Dragonblood. "She's most definitely in Hell. Tell her Stuart says hi."
Smugly, Dragonblood kicked me off the plank and into the blessedly cold sea.
Was that the end of John Coughlan, Pirate Investigator? If you're still breathing, then obviously not!
Spinning myself like a human propeller, I dove under Dragonblood's ship and torpedoed its hull, shooting through the vessel like said undersea projectile.
Erupting up through the deck, pirates scattered everywhere from the force as their ship started sinking.
Dragonblood retained his footing even as his men abandoned him, and drew his shiny sword at me. Still handcuffed, I proceeded to fend off his stabs with a series of well-timed kicks, eventually booting the entire blade out his hands, over my head, and down into my own hands whereupon I severed my bonds and turned the tables on the captain.
"Pirates disguised as ninjas, eh?" I said, sword at Dragonblood's throat, water pooling around our feet. "It was clever, but the ruse is over. Where is Shields?"
"I don't know," Dragonblood sighed, defeated. "My crew and I were hired to kill several commodores, but Shields was taken before we could get to him. When I heard you were looking for us, I assumed you had intervened and sent my men for you."
I knew that was the truth, because it's only Chapter III and I wouldn't get answers this soon.
"Hired by who?" Water was now reaching our knees.
"I got the orders… in this envelope…" Dragonblood slowly and cautiously removed the pertinent article from inside his jacket and I took it from his outstretched hand.
My eyes widened, my heart skipped a beat, and my blood ran colder than the now waist-height water.
The envelope carried the seal of the Council of Beards.
Off my expression, Dragonblood said, "That's right. The highest authority in piracy. The greatest pirate captains in the Seven Seas ordered me to take out those commodores, and I did not see fit to question them."
Of course, I knew exactly why the Council wanted those commodores dead. They obviously knew about Operation: Excalibur and feared it enough to slay those responsible. Whatever Shields knew, it had to be big. So much that the Council of Beards needed him alive. He was their missing puzzle piece.
From the note I found in Shields' office, I surmised that each dead commodore was somehow linked to each Council member. Perhaps in some kind of coordinated takedown? I couldn't be sure yet, plus the water was now up to our chins.
There was only one thing for it: I would have to confront the Council of Beards.
* * *
Leaving Dragonblood to drown, I literally ran across sunbeams or something, all the way to Shadow Island, the secret meeting place of the Council of Beards, and unofficial capital of the Seven Seas. Located in the Mediterranean Sea, it was on no map made by mortal hands, and required special pirate know-how to find it.
The island lived up to its name; large trees casting the whole landmass in perpetual darkness that chilled the soul. I myself faced a terrifying ordeal in my mind.
Even with my considerable skill, intelligence and handsomeness, I was no match for the combined ancient pirate powers that the Council of Beards possessed. Was I really going to square up to them and demand Shields' safe return?
But a case is a case. I could at least attempt a negotiation with them. Surely Shields could pose no further threat? Such an attempt would no doubt sully my reputation somewhat in the pirate community, but not to try would sully my reputation with myself.
And so, I lit the fire at the centre of the island, signifying the need for a meeting. It was said that the Council could sense the fire no matter where they were in the world, and would heed its call under any circumstance.
It would only be a matter of time before--
"Why have you summoned us?" said a voice behind me.
Upon turning, I found myself face-to-beard with the legendary Edward Teach -- Blackbeard himself.
Statuesque, regal, his longcoat decorated in pistols and cutlasses, his beard luxuriant, braided and as black as void. Behind him stood the other Council members: Black Bellamy, Captain Kidd, Black Bart, Calico Jack, Henry Morgan and a few others, including Anne Bonny who is a beardless woman.
Summoning all the courage I had, as well as some courage I stole from the hearts of lions specifically for this purpose, I spoke as calmly and as boldly as I could.
"I have questions for you, O Mighty Pirates, about Operation: Excalibur."
"He wastes our time, Teach," said Captain Kidd, in an unmistakable Greenock (definitely not Dundonian) twang. "Let us each sever a different limb from his body."
I was, of course, quite anxious at this. Even if the Council were not so fearsome that every nightmare you've ever had was caused by them in some way, each of their ships had to be nearby, all full of their own bloodthirsty rogues.
But Blackbeard simply clutched his belt buckle and regarded me curiously.
"We know nothing of this 'Operation: Excalibur' you speak of," he said.
I frowned. "But… you sent a message to Captain Dragonblood to kill the commodores involved with it." I held up the envelope with their seal.
Blackbeard squinted. "Aye. 'Tis our seal. But we sent no order. Somebody is having sport with us all, methinks." He showed only the slightest hint of anger.
"Wait…" I said, deeply confused. "If you didn't send the order, and you've never heard of Excalibur… Then…"
Suddenly Shadow Island was illuminated from above, causing all of us to shield out eyes. When my vision cleared, I looked up to see several airships aiming cannons at us.
Ropes dropped all around, like a thready rain, and ninjas descended, surrounding me and the Council.
"Well done, Coughlan," said one ninja, approaching me. "Thank you for gathering them all in one place for me." I recognised his voice even before he demasked.
"Shields…"
To be continued…
A thrilling installment! These genuinely don't come quickly enough.
ReplyDelete