College Humor is very probably my favourite humorous website on the entire netsphere. I've seen a lot of their videos and articles, and they always make me laugh hard. Many of you will have no doubt heard me recount or recommend one of their many funny sketches, but you don't have to take my word for it any more! For I, in the truly bored manner traditionally found amongst viewers of online comedy, have compiled a list of my top ten favourite videos! Witness!
I have typed this text for no reason except that blogger goes apeshit if there's a bold font after a page break.
10) Hardly Drinking
Recorded during a Saint Patrick's Day at the old CH offices, it features much of the regular crew signing their favourite "songs you would only sing while drunk". Yes, they're drunk. Yes, this is them at work, both as a verb and a noun. They are my generation's greatest heroes.
9) All-Nighter '09: Beef Gurewitch
Every year (almost), CH has an "all-nighter" where everybody sleeps over in the office, writing sketches and uploading them to the site all night long. This particular video, concerning CH regular Dan Gurewitch's secret family recipe, was conceived at the tail end of 2009's long night in. Insomnia is the perfect ingredient for comedy.
8) Prank War 7: The Yankee Prankee
For over five years, CH staffmembers Streeter Seidell and Amir Blumenfeld have been locked in a prank war, each taking turns publicly humiliating the other in an ever-escalating contest of genius and cruelty. This one, where Streeter gets Amir, is my favourite. I don't think I should say any more, just watch it. And the others.
7) Awkward Rap
A very well put together rap video about life's little everyday hurdles. Bear in mind, this video was created back before there was a Facebook group for literally every facet of the human condition, so they were quite original for highlighting such foibles.
6) Midnight Talk Show Prank
Once again starring the unsinkable Dan Gurewitch, he is ambushed in his bed at midnight and made to host an impromptu talk show, with hilarious results. Featuring special guest Scott Adist of 30 Rock.
5) The Tetris God
If you ever played the immensely popular GameBoy game Tetris then you know exactly who this fucker is. "Line piece! Line piece! LINE PIECE!"
4) Nick's Commercials: Fireworks Emporium
Appropriately, this is a Fourth of July sketch in a series of seasonable spoofs of the type of aggressively-enthusiastic TV salesmen you get in America. They are all hilarious, but I like this musical one the best if only for the batshit-crazy directions at the end.
3) Phantom of the Catacomb
The Phantom of the Office is one of CH's greatest creations: an immortal dandy with the some disturbing habits who uses online slang and generally annoys the staff. Although I love all the Phantom videos, in this one he takes his beloved "Sa-rah" into his inner sanctum and shows her around his bizarre collection of artifacts.
2) Hardly Working: Ooper Putz Rematch
Hardly Working is CH's main series of skits, featuring the regulars. Beyond that, I have no idea what this title means, but the video gets points for sheer creativity alone. There's stuff going on the background, zany rules to a made-up game, all sorts. Just watch it!
1) Jake and Amir: Grandma
This year's All-Nighter saw the creation of what I consider the funniest Jake and Amir sketch of all time, and the funniest sketch of any kind I've ever seen at CH. Maybe it's just 'cause saw it last, or whatever. Either way, J&A is the best webseries online.
That was both rewarding (I watched all the videos) and gruelling (there was so much to choose from). But seriously, check out everything at College Humor. Daily. I highly recommend it for your health.
(John Coughlan is in no way any kind of doctor.)
No comments:
Post a Comment